It’s finally here! Japanese carmaker Toyota has recently revealed that the brand will be launching its first pick-up truck in India on January 23rd, 2022, The Toyota Hilux.
Toyota has also initiated the booking for its first pick-up in India at Rs 50,000 to Rs 2 lakh, completely depending upon the variant and the dealership. The Hilux lifestyle pick-up is Toyota’s answer to the infamous Isuzu D-Max.
Any similarities to the Isuzu D-max on the mechanical front?
- It is expected to feature a 2.8-litre diesel engine which does its job on the current-gen Toyota fortune and produces 204hp with a peak torque of 500Nm.
- Although as of now the transmission options still remain unknown.
- The new Isuzu D-MAX competitor will also be offered in a 4×4 variant.
- It will be based on Toyota’s IMV-2 platform, which underpins the current-gen Toyota Innova and the Fortuner.
- in terms of dimensions, the Hilux will measure at 5,285mm in length with a wheelbase of 3,085mm making it longer than the Toyota Fortuner.
What’s one on the feature end?
- It will for sure get its double-cab body style as seen on many lifestyle pick-ups in India.
- Although, it does resemble the likes of the Toyota Fortuner from the front.
- On the front end, you get a hexagonal-shaped grille with swept-back LED headlamps and a more muscular bumper.
- Coming to the inside, you can expect the Hilux to resemble the likes of the Toyota Fortuner.
- It will surely be equipped with some of the most basic features like an 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple Carplay, 6- airbags, auto climate control, leatherette seats and many others.
What about its price and rivals?
- Its sole competitor in the Indian market, the Isuzu D-Max comes in at Rs 18.05 lakh-25.60 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
- Leading media reports suggest that Toyota will aggressively price the Hilux in order to lure in more buyers.
- However, you can expect the top-end variant to cost around Rs. 30 lakh (Ex-showroom).