This comes straight from India’s safest carmaker Tata who seems to be working on the big guns. Looking at an exclusive report published by Autocar India, Tata has started working on a Nexon-based mid-size coupe SUV.
Moreover, this Nexon-based coupe will be all-electric, although there will also be an IC variant after the electric version has launched. The Nexon-based coupe will be a stretched version of the already existing sub-compact SUV.
Due to budget constraints and the Covid-19 pandemic, the idea was then sacked. But with Tata emerging as one of the best-selling carmaker Tata and decided to bring back the project.
The mere idea of the mid-size coupe SUV dates back to 2018 and was supposed to be a rival to the Hyundai Creta.
- This project will be based on the same X1 platform and will resemble the same in terms of looks.
- This muscled Nexon will receive an all-new B-pillar giving the much-needed coupe look to the compact SUV.
- The rear door will be much longer than the existing Nexon.
- The extended rear-end offer is expected to offer more legroom to the rear passengers.
- With the rear extended rear end, the overall length of the car is expected to reach the 4.3-metre mark.
Anything new on the mechanical front?
- As the first pure electric EV from Tata, there is no official news about the powertrain.
- However, the Nexon EV facelift is expected to offer a larger battery with a longer range.
- The current Nexon EV offers a 300km range on a 30kWh battery and pushes 129hp and 245Nm output.
- Although Tata not ditching the diesel powertrains, It is for sure that the upcoming Nexon coupe will have a gasoline powertrain.
- Going by leading media reports and auto enthusiasts it might get a new 1.5-liter petrol engine.
When will it launch?
- As of now, Tata had scheduled the unveiling of the Nexon coupe at the upcoming 2022 Auto Expo expected to happen in February.
- But looking at the current Covid situation the auto expo has been canceled we can expect Tata t showcase the Nexon coupe concept in early 2023 with its launch during the 3rd quarter of the same year.